USB Device Support

Darryl Dieckman ddieckma at cliftonlabs.com
Wed Jun 20 22:25:06 EDT 2001

Hello,

I'm looking into the feasibility of developing a driver for a USB
FLASH storage device.  The MTD project page says that a goal
of the project is to allow device developers to write read, write,
and erase functions for their particular device, and you'll be ready
to go.  Has the project evolved to a state where this is indeed a 'simple'
exercise?

As for the magnitude of this 'simple' task, would you say that it
would be a 1 week or 1 month exercise for an experienced
programmer.  By experienced I mean experienced in C and
Linux, but not an experienced kernel developer.

I'm also under the impression that by creating this driver, I will also
get support for the Journaling Flash File System.  Is this a correct
assumption?

Thanks in advance for any inputs on this endeavor.  Hopefully all
will go well, and I will soon be able to add another device to the
list. ;)

Thanks
Darryl

 Darryl Dieckman                       ddieckma at cliftonlabs.com
 Senior Software Engineer            http://www.cliftonlabs.com
 Clifton Labs, Inc.                            Cincinnati, Ohio
                        pgp key available