CFI vs JEDEC read commands

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jun 12 04:51:06 EDT 2001

Stuart.Menefy at st.com said:
>  However, this got me looking at the code. In virtually every case, a
> 'read' command is 0xf0, apart from two (one in cfi_cfi_probe and the
> other in cfi_cmdset_unknown), when is it 0xff. Is this deliberate, and
> would changing the remaining two to 0xf0 cause any problems?

They were originally 0xFF because I was dealing with Intel flash when I
wrote the CFI probe code, and that's the 'Read Array' command for Intel
flash. AFAICT CFI doesn't actually specify a way to take the chip _out_ of
read mode, and hence to detect aliases. I suspect 0xF0 should work. Let's
change it and see if it breaks - if it does we have to implement a
cmdset-specific 'switch back to read mode' function.

--
dwmw2