erase questions

Abraham vd Merwe abraham at 2d3d.co.za
Thu Jun 7 07:03:09 EDT 2001

Hi!

I have a couple of questions about mtd_info->erase which isn't covered in
the MTD API:

From the MTD API docs, it seems the erase function can only be called
erase_info->len == mtd->erasesize. This is obviously not true anymore since
there can be multiple erase regions with multiple erase sizes and the user
might request an erase on one of the smaller blocks.

So can I assume that I only have to deal (read: allow) with erases where
erase_info->addr == START_OF_SOME_BLOCK and erase_info->len ==
LENGTH_OF_THAT_BLOCK?

So basically it boils down to 2 questions. Is ->addr always equal to the
start of a block and is ->len always equal to the size of that block or may
->len span multiple blocks.

If ->len may span multiple blocks, must it be equal to the size of all the
blocks (e.g. if you we're to erase a 2x 4k + 3x 8k consecutive blocks, must
len be equal to 32k)?

--

Regards
 Abraham

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.

 Abraham vd Merwe - 2d3D, Inc.

 Device Driver Development, Outsourcing, Embedded Systems

  Cell: +27 82 565 4451         Snailmail:
   Tel: +27 21 761 7549            Block C, Antree Park
   Fax: +27 21 761 7648            Doncaster Road
 Email: abraham at 2d3d.co.za         Kenilworth, 7700
  Http: http://www.2d3d.com        South Africa