jffs2

Kári Davíðsson kd at flaga.is
Wed Jun 6 07:25:39 EDT 2001

Hi,

Well that is the initrd. I am limited in flash and I found that
compressing
a e2fs and mount it through the initrd mechanism gives me more space in
the
flash for a jffs2 partition that keeps the stuff I need to write to
flash
during operation of board (logs, frequently changing configuration
files,
upgradable programs and drivers, etc).

> > and the program seem to be running extremely slow and what
> is worse it
> > seem to block the kernel at the
> > same time, i.e. I can not ping the board nor telnet to it.
>
> Not being able to ping it is bad. Not being able to telnet to it may
> depend on how much CPU resources are available
> to run the telnet daemon.

Yes, actually I found out it was a combination of two "bugs", one was
that I was running a very big (unstriped C++ program) in the range of
3.5 MB from the jffs2 partition, so I guess just uncompressing that kind
of file
takes its time. The second bug was another driver that disables
interrupts, was hanging.....

> > If I wait long enough I get output from the program on the
> console but
> > everything is very very slow.....
> >

> What processor are you using? How big is your JFFS2 partition

The processor is mpc823 running at 50Mhz, no powerhorse but a resonable
CPU for the things we are dooing.

> and what is

The jffs2 partition is 1.75 MB.

> this program that you are running doing?

Data acquizition.

> Remember that JFFS2 needs to go GC when the fs gets full (or
> near full if
> the background GC task is running). If your program

How full is "near full" for the jffs2?

> is reading/writing from/to the JFFS2 fs it will get blocked. Are you
> generating a lot of data to the JFFS2 fs?

After I striped the executable, it is around 350kb everything is running
much better.

> Vipin

Thanks,

K.D.