DOC 2000 driver (NFTL) in kernel 2.4.7

Saul Thurrowgood saul at cvs.anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 31 23:46:24 EDT 2001

> 3) (and this is the show stopper) The NFTL driver is not able to find a
> boot record on the DOC. This is strange because I'm actually booting
> from the DOC.
>
> The previous configuration used a 2.0.36 kernel with M-System provided
> drivers and it worked fine.

I had the exact same problem but I am running an Ampro P5e with DOC 2000
(2.4.1 kernel).

I knew it had a valid NFTL boot record, because it would boot to DOS,
and running the nftldump util under linux would find it. It had been
NFTL formatted with M-Systems utils.

I fixed it by formatting with nftl_format (also comes with MTD source),
providing it a 240k offset so it would not trash the BIOS at the
beginning of the chip (Ampro specific).

Works fine! So, what's the difference between the two formats?!?
Both start at the exact same place on the DOC, as seen by running
nftldump before and after.

Saul.