Ask for some guidance...

olea at hispafuentes.com olea at hispafuentes.com
Tue Jul 24 14:32:08 EDT 2001

Hi.

We are porting Linux to a kind of PDA built on a ELAN SC400 processor.
It has two Samsung KM29U128T flash chips running as an IDE hard disk.

The system runs DOS perfectly without drivers.

Our problem is that Linux can't see the IDE device.

Since the machine is designed and built by a third company (other than
our client) we don't have any information about the implementation.

We have investigated the machine and we have some suppositions:

        - the bios doesn't look modified to access the flash ide disk;
        - there isn't any Samsung flash controler chip in the board;
        - the board has some chips looking as programmable roms;
        - it's looks that this chips are a firmware for doing the FTL.

Our questions are:

        - How can we probe that there is a firmware doing the FTL and
which firmware is it?
	- Do you think we could access to the flash disk using MTD?

If you need more info, please ask it.

Thank you very much for your time.

--
	A.Ismael Olea González