cfi_cmdset_0002 and writes

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jul 18 18:42:10 EDT 2001

thockin at sun.com said:
>  Right, but this is our boot ROM we're dealing with :)  Can you
> suggest a better alternative?  The device is rarely ever loaded, but
> when it is loaded we want to read and re-program the whole thing as
> safely as possible.

It's sane enough. Just loading the 'mtdblock' driver will give you exactly
the semantics you described. Alternatively, use the raw chardevice driver,
and you have to issue the MEMERASE ioctl before rewriting a sector. There
are utilities in CVS which do this for you, given an MTD device and a file
to load into it.

Either way, the underlying flash device driver only deals with the physical
capabilities of the flash chip. What you do on top of that is none of its
business.

--
dwmw2