hacking - need feedback

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jul 13 02:58:23 EDT 2001

thockin at sun.com said:
>  Would life be easier if all maps just called do_map_probe_all() and
> that would walk down the list of supported chiptypes?

Maybe, but to be honest most map driver authors know what type of chip is
going to be found. No harm in providing it, as long it remains possible to
call the other probes individually.

> 	cfi_probe
> 	jedec_probe (new)
> 	jedec
> 	amd_flash
> 	ram
> 	rom

I think there'll be an intel_probe in there too, passing control to
cfi_cmdset_000[13].

>  Is it true that the code in cfi_probe.c (for doing things like
> interleave, multiple chips etc) should be common for CFI and JEDEC
> (and others?)  If so, it should be shared, but it hardly makes sense
> that do_map_probe("cfi") would find jedec chips...

A lot of the required magic is actually in include/linux/mtd/cfi.h. to the
extent that the contents of cfi_probe.c end up duplicated in jedec_probe.c,
I think we should just live with it.

>  Sorry I'm rambling.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the lot
> of it, and being new to the codebase, it is easy for me to say "rip
> out the old stuff" :)

Believe me, it's still easy to say "rip out the old stuff". :)

--
dwmw2