Unable to mount compressed root f/s because init_mtd() does n ot r egister block device!

Vipin Malik vmalik at danielind.com
Thu Feb 22 14:22:49 EST 2001

David Woodhouse wrote:

> Vipin.Malik at daniel.com said:
> > But isn't the same init calls method used to init the stuff in the
> > 2.4.x series of kernels. So it's not just a 2.2.18/19 issue.
>
> Yes, but it works in 2.4, and it doesn't in 2.2.18. So we might as well just
> use the 2.2.17 method in 2.2.18 instead of a hacked-up version of the 2.4
> method.

Has anyone really tried this in 2.4.x ?
I've been playing all morning with the 2.4.1 kernel trying to get the physmap.o
__init stuff to run before the rd_load() and
just can't seem to get it done.

the ramdisk driver cannot find the mtdblock device registered when it tries to
load the compressed f/s image from flash.

Help!

Vipin