Problems with cfi_cmdset_0002.c

Johan Adolfsson johan.adolfsson at axis.com
Mon Feb 12 12:33:04 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org>
To: Johan Adolfsson <johana at axis.com>
Cc: Jonas Holmberg <jonashg at axis.com>; <mtd at infradead.org>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 18:24
Subject: Re: Problems with cfi_cmdset_0002.c

> johan.adolfsson at axis.com said:
> > Wouldn't it be possible to check both the bootloc and the erase
> > regions and do something like this? :
>
> Would that help? I thought that _all_ the AMD chips had the smallest
> regions listed first - that's the whole problem. But the top-boot chips
you
> have don't have bootloc == CFI_BOTTOM_BOOT. Or am I misunderstanding?

It's probably mee...:-)
Jonas has those flash chips, I dont.
What does the bootloc say? Does it says something other the 2 and 3?

> If the erase regions are listed the wrong way round _and_ the byte in the
> extended header isn't set appropriately to tell you so, these AMD chips
> really are broken. We need to work round them explicitly with a table of
> JEDEC IDs for the broken chips, or just reject them and buy Intel chips
> instead.

We need a table like that for other AMD compatible non CFI chips as well
(e.g. Toshiba).
Jonas has a solution that seems to work here, I guess it should go into the
mtd tree soner or later?
We probably want the check against the list before doing the CFI probe.

> --
> dwmw2

/Johan