doc2k: "formatting block"?

Ian Eure <Ian Eure ieure at insynq.com
Wed Feb 7 12:20:45 EST 2001

David Woodhouse writes:
 > On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Ian Eure <Ian Eure wrote:
 >
 > > while testing a 32mb doc2000, i see these messages:
 > >
 > > -- snip --
 > > DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xD0000
 > > Flash chip found: Manufacturer ID: 98, Chip ID: 73 (Toshiba TH58V128DC)
 > > 2 flash chips found. Total DiskOnChip size: 32 Mb
 > > Block 807: referencing block 110 already in another chain
 > > Formatting chain at block 807
 > > Formatting block 807
 > > Unreferenced block 366, formatting it
 > > -- snip --
 >
 > Eep. Can you reproduce it? Did this happen after the M-Systems drivers (or
 > firmware) had been writing to the device, or is it purely our software?
 > It's unlikely to be hardware.

it's reproducible, but only with this one 32mb doc2000. i only have
this chip, and a 48mb doc2000 for testing right now.

the doc had been written to by the m-sys driver before.

 > I'm trying to grok that code - even if the block _is_ linked in another
 > chain, we should be able to work out which chain it _ought_ to be in by
 > its own VirtUnitNum entry. We still have to format the chain in which the
 > block _isn't_ supposed to be, and there's definitely some data corruption
 > happened, but we should be able to do a little better than we do ATM, I
 > think.
 >
 > I don't see how this could be caused by a fold in progress - we don't fold
 > one chain into _another_, only into itself. But the comment implies
 > otherwise...
 >
 > 	printk("Block %d: referencing block %d already in another chain\n",
 > 		block, rep_block);
 > 	/* XXX: should handle correctly fold in progress chains */
 > 	do_format_chain = 1;
 > 	s->ReplUnitTable[block] = BLOCK_NIL;

i'm an intermediate c programmer, and have no experience with kernel
programming. but, i'd like to try and help you, so i'm just gonna jump
in. some patches may (or may not) fly out in a few days or weeks. :)

--