DOC2000 issues...

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Feb 2 16:29:16 EST 2001

>>>>> "David" == David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> writes:

David> On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>  ...  M-Systems DiskOnChip driver. (C) 1999 Machine Vision
>> Holdings, Inc.  M-Systems NAND Flash Translation Layer driver. (C)
>> 1999 MVHI $Id: nftl.c,v 1.57 2000/12/01 17:51:54 dwmw2 Exp $ ...

David> Didn't find hardware. Did you hardcode the address or leave it
David> at zero to auto-probe? Common mistake is to give the segment
David> address not the real address (0xd800 not 0xd8000). You do need
David> the extra zero.

I left it at 0. How can I tell what address the DOC is at? from the
bios?

So it would print something here if it found the DOC?

David> Note to self: Hide that option and the 55AA one inside
David> if(LINUXBIOS).

yeah, also help for those kernel options would be nice. ;)
I had to look at the code to see that 0 meant to auto-probe. ;)

>> Then, I tried the newest m-systems driver with 2.2.18:

>> VFS: Cannot open root device 3e:01 Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to
>> mount root fs on 3e:01

David> They changed the major number from the temporary one they were
David> using. But rather than using the one I'd already registered,
David> they started using an entirely new one. Major 100 I think.

yeah, I tried that too...no dice. That just should need to be the
'root=' option for the kernel in lilo.conf, right?

David> Geometry info is useful though - can you compare it with what
David> the free driver reports, when you get that working?

sure.

>> I would be happy to write up a HOWTO or the like if someone can
>> help me get it going. ;)

David> I love you.

ha. I have to get it working first tho. ;)

David> -- dwmw2

kevin