JFFS2 on 8MB Flash-Chip conneted to MPC850 works extremly slow:(

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Aug 29 05:24:57 EDT 2001

krom at dgt-lab.com.pl said:
> > The erase of unclean sectors is done in the background after the mount
> > has finished. One day we'll get round to fixing the drivers so that we
> > don't busy-wait for erases to complete either.

> Please anonuce it on the list.

It won't make your mount any faster. You have a sane CPU which can handle
having both a cached and uncached mapping of a physical region - try doing
that in your map driver (see ocelot.c for inspiration) and see if it helps.

You may also want to investigate burst reads from the flash chips, if your
hardware is capable of it.

Another possibility is to work with the people who want XIP so you can give
the JFFS2 code a direct pointer to the flash chips and avoid the
out-of-line function calls on every read.

--
dwmw2