jffs2 root

Kenneth Johansson kenneth.johansson at inn.ericsson.se
Tue Aug 28 13:13:13 EDT 2001

David Woodhouse wrote:

> kenneth.johansson at inn.ericsson.se said:
> >  What dose this mean?? It mounts jffs2 and I know /sbin/init is there.
> > The exact same kernel booting a ramdisk then mounting jffs2 works and
> > a diff of /sbin/init shows it to be correct.
>
> Odd. Are you 100% sure you haven't got 'init=' on the command line?

yes this is what happens with init=/bin/bash

--------
VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem) readonly.
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 56k init 4k openfirmware
Starting userspace with /bin/bash
Starting userspace with /sbin/init
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
---------

I have booted from jffs2 one time (the first time I tried) but I had syslogd
starting in the init script and jffs2 creates data everytime something
happens that syslogd saves that creates more log ... Well I could not do much
before the disk was full so I did this steps.

erased the flash with erase /dev/mtd/0 0 128  (I have 8MB flash)

mounted /dev/mtdblock/0 on /mnt/mtd

Created the filesystem with (yes I know cp has -x option)

find / -type d -xdev -exec mkdir /mnt/mtd/{} \;
find / -type f -xdev -exec cp -dpvf {} /mnt/mtd/{} \;

It is not possible to boot from the result of this.

???

--
Kenneth Johansson
Ericsson Business Innovation AB   Tel: +46 8 404 71 83
164 80 Stockholm                  kenneth.johansson at inn.ericsson.se