DOC 2000 Issues

Bill Seisler wrs122 at psu.edu
Tue Aug 28 08:55:42 EDT 2001

After working on this and getting nowhere fast, I need some advice. I have
a P3-850 w/256 MB RAM and a Disk on Chip socket . I have a 141 MB Disk on
Chip 2000. The end goal is to get the system to boot off of the Disk on
Chip with Linux Redhat 7.1 and kernel 2.4.9 (Very simple, no graphics, just
network support). Originally, I tried the m-sys drivers with TrueFFS 5.0.
Followed the instructions provided and ran into minor difficulties until I
reached the dformat command (I get an error, the UPDATE flag is invalid).
After having no luck getting around that, I called their tech support. The
guy on the line was less than enthusiastic about Linux support and
suggested I use TrueFFS v4.2 (oddly enough, when I flashed the DOC with
TrueFFS 5.0, it said it was running v4.3, but in the end, 4.2 didn't seem
to help matters). In my next attempt, I tried to use the code supplied in
kernel 2.4.9 and the mtd-lilo instead of the m-sys drivers. In both cases,
I can get it to recognize the DOC in some fashion. Generally I am able to
mount the DOC and copy files to it as well, but I just can't seem to make
the final step and be able to boot from it. I looked through the cvs
distribution readme and I'd like to try it but I don't want to have to
compress the filesystem on the DOC (I shouldn't need to). Any comments on
this are greatly appreciated.

Here are my final questions for this message:
Which TrueFFS do I have better luck with? 4.2 or 5.0 (4.3?)
What is the difference between the code that came with kernel 2.4.9 and the
cvs? Is the code in 2.4.9 just a previous cvs or did it come from a
different author?

Thanks ahead of time for your help,
-Bill