Brownouts

Vipin Malik vipin.malik at daniel.com
Fri Apr 27 10:36:07 EDT 2001

Chris Read wrote:

> As a follow up to my earlier message:
>
> I am currently working with Intel B3 parts. The datasheet makes no specific
> mention of any built in brownout detection. However, there are a set of
> timings for the reset line. Specifically, it states that it may take up to
> 22us to reset the internal state machine during an erase or write cycle
> after the reset pin is asserted. My interpretation of this, in the absence
> of any explicit information, is that whilst erasing or programming, the
> reset line must be asserted a minimum of 22us before the power supply falls
> below the chip's minVcc specification, otherwise the results are
> undefined.....and we all know what that can mean.
>
> Any thoughts/experiences?

IMHO, you'r reading too much into the spec.

If this was my design, based on this spec that you posted, I would be happy
with this 22 us of power *up* reset. There is usually nothing to worry about
power down reset *for the flash chip*. Of course, you may want your processor
to be in reset when VCC falls out of spec to prevent it from misbehaving.

All IMHO.

Vipin