question about mtd

Manatee manatee at pacifier.com
Thu Apr 26 12:10:56 EDT 2001

I am trying to teach myself about networking and hardware.

I have a Netrunner which has a Disk on Chip and two harddrives.

What happens is that the Netrunner boots up using the Disk on Chip. It
boots up in "recovery mode" first. I used a crossover cable and attached
it to my workstation, and, using 192.168.1.1 I was able to connect to it
with a web browser.

First it does fdisk, then mkfs, then auto-RAID.

Then it give the option of installing something called all_system.tar.bz2

It seems that the chip decides on boot up whether to boot one of two
kernels: recovery or normal. I think recovery only comes up if all_system
has not been installed and "normal" comes up if all_system has been
installed. I believe it checks the harddrive before deciding.

I was wondering how the Disk on Chip would make the determination as to
which kernel to boot? Does it see something on the harddrive that triggers
it one way or another? Is it a script or some sort of flag? I'd like to
take a look at it to learn something about it.

Manatee