Booting from StrataFlash on SBC-104

Michel STEMPIN mstempin at com1.fr
Wed Apr 25 12:05:02 EDT 2001

I am trying to squeeze linux on an Arcom SBC-104 board (4Mb DRAM/4Mb
StrataFlash).

Right now, I am able to make it boot from a noisy HDD, a silent (somewhat
appendix-like) CompactFlash, and from an additional DOC, using the binary
driver from M-Systems as a ramdisk-loaded driver.

My goal is to be able to boot it from the built-in StrataFlash device, and
thus, I have a few questions:
	- would you recommend using JFFS or JFFS2?
	- I saw a "boot" directory under the CVS: what is its status?
	- under "boot" the Makefile is building 2 targets "flashloader.rom" and
"sbc_mediagx.rom": what are they for? Which one should I get, since the
sbc_mediagx and the sbc_104 are from the same manufacturer?

I guess the best way will be to follow the HOWTO, then build one of these
and transfer it onto the chip. How? Is it a "dd" using the mtdblock device?

Excuse me for these dummy questions, I am new to the list, and trying to
catch up with the train! I tried to read the archives first, finding no
answer.

--
Michel Stempin
MIS