Elan SC520 - problem with MTD

Robert Kaiser rob at sysgo.de
Wed Apr 18 09:14:56 EDT 2001

Hi Vipin,

On Die, 17 Apr 2001 you wrote:

> This is the board that I am working with myself. I've got this working for
> quite a while and have sent
> my "physmap.c" file to a few folks personally (that's the original physmap.c
> file from CVS hacked for the SC520 CDP- this was before there was
> a physmap file in CVS for this board.)
>
> [snip]
>
> I suggest that whoever checked the sc520cdp.c file into CVS,

.. That would be me ...

>,at the very least
> pick up the above comments
> and include them as a warning, even if they don't want to reprogram the PAR at
> the new and proper address

Sorry, I wasn't aware of your work in this area when I wrote sc520cdp.c and
decided to contribute it. My main goal was to use the flash for a JFFS
filesystem, so this strange mapping used by the BIOS wasn't a problem for me.

> (I suggest that we reprogram the PAR regs).

I tend to agree, though the fact that we are deviating from the BIOS's
configuration this way makes me wonder if there should be a config option
for it. OTOH, MTD already has more than enough config options already
and I'm hesitant to add another one. (Just try to imagine how to write a
one-paragraph entry for Configure.help to explain to people what this option
does without scaring them away).

Rob

Robert Kaiser                         email: rkaiser at sysgo.de
SYSGO RTS GmbH
Am Pfaffenstein 14                    phone: (49) 6136 9948-762
D-55270 Klein-Winternheim / Germany   fax:   (49) 6136 9948-10