Elan SC520 - problem with MTD

Alexander Melichenko AlexanderM at lrpeople.com
Mon Apr 16 04:35:17 EDT 2001

Hello, Robert!
On  Sun, 15 April 2001, Robert Kaiser wrote :

> Hello Alexander
>
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Alexander Melichenko wrote:
>
> > Hello, Robert!
> > I downloaded latest version of MTD from CVS with Your sc520cdp.c file. I
> > compile kernel with
> > MTD support, but result is not very good. During booting I see
> >   physmap flash device: 400000 at 800000
> >   Physically mapped flash : Found no CFI device at location zero
> >
> > After booting file /proc/mtd consists only:
> >    dev:       size      erasesize      name
> >
> > What does it mean?
>
> I suspect that you have not enabled CONFIG_MTD_CFI and/or
> CONFIG_MTD_JEDEC. The two 8MB Flash banks on the SC520CDP
> seem to be CFI compliant devices while the boot ROM is a JEDEC
> device. The sc520cdp.c module just provides a mapping (i.e.
> addresses and access methods for the Flash, but the probing stuff
> is in the CFI and JEDEC section.
>

> > Can you sent me your .config file? May be I check wrong option before
kernel
> > compilation?
>
> I'm sending you a copy of my .config file. It is from a 2.4.3 kernel,
> but the CONFIG_MTD_* options should work for you too.
>
> [Be careful not to write to device /dev/,mtd3. (Unless you want to
> overwrite your boot ROM).]

I checked my .config file and found following:
  - CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP was "CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP =y". I uncheked this option.
  - CONFIG_MTD_CFI=y
  - CONFIG_MTD_JEDEC=y
The rest of the options were as in your file.
I recompiled a kernel. During the boot up procces there were no messages
about MTD or CFI. After booting up in
file /proc/mtd was a record:
    dev:       size      erasesize      name

I hoped to see more informations in this file.

What should I do next?
May be I must reset some jumpers on CDP boards?

Thanks.
Alexander Melichenko.