AW: jffs steps from boot prompt to mount?

Florian Schirmer / TayTron schirmer at taytron.net
Thu Apr 12 15:19:22 EDT 2001

Hi!

>I need my application to be able to mount the mtd device and write/read
>files.  I have selected jffs support under file systems in xconfig. Can
>someone spell out the steps from bootup until mount?  I tried following the
>HOWTO but got stuck here with erase not working and wondering how
>mtdblock0/1/2 get created.

Check wether mtd0/1/... exits under you /dev directory. Probably they are
missing. You want to consider this two kernel options:

# CONFIG_MTD_CHAR is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK is not set

The first creates mtd0/1/... and the second one mtdblock0/1/... which should
fix both of your problems. After you compiled in both options you should
erase all your partitions with eraseall. The erase command should work to,
but i did not test that. Then you can simply create an filesystem on your
device. If you want to use jffs simply do:

mount -t jffs /dev/mtdblock0 /mount

This creates a jffs filesystem on your partition. After the filesystem has
been created you can ommit "-t jffs" since mount now autodetects the
filesystem.

Hope that helps
  Florian Schirmer

TayTron Internet Solutions | Bei Fragen wenden Sie sich bitte an:

Webhosting     ab  29,- DM | http://www.velomedia.de - info at velomedia.de
Serverhousing  ab 199,- DM | Tel. 0800 / 80 70 900 - Fax 030 / 43671-040