CFI with 4 x8/x16 devices on a 32-bit bus

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Wed Apr 11 11:05:28 EDT 2001

Hi again :-)

I have testing a few combinations w.r.t number of partitions
and this is what I have discoved so far:

1) No partitions, just do add_device() for the whole flash - Works OK (cat
/dev/mtd0 returns fffffffff ...)
2) 1 small(size 0x40000, offset 0) partition - Works OK (cat /dev/mtd0
returns fffffffff ...)
3) 2 partitions( tried a few different sizes) - Not OK, here I get
81ff81ff81ff ... !

I have 4 amd flash chips(label printed on them is D323BD90VI)
which I think maps to the following spec:
http://www.amd.com/products/nvd/techdocs/23480.pdf

Apparently this is chip with 2 erase sectors sizes. I suspect the different
sector sizes
is the cause to my problems, but I cant figure out where the problem is. I
have
tried with&whithout virtual regions.

Any ideas?

Boot message regarding the flash:

  RPX Lite or CLLF flash device: 1000000 at ff000000
  RPX: Found 4 x16 devices at 0x0 in 32-bit mode
  Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table v1.2 at 0x0040
  number of CFI chips: 1
  0: offset=0x0,size=0x8000,blocks=8
  1: offset=0x40000,size=0x40000,blocks=63
  Created 1 virtual regions for partiton 0
  mtd: Giving out device 0 to RPX App 0xff000000
  Created 1 virtual regions for partiton 1
  mtd: Giving out device 1 to RPX App 0xff040000
  Created 1 virtual regions for partiton 2
  mtd: Giving out device 2 to RPX CLLF boot firmware
  Created 1 virtual regions for partiton 3
  mtd: Giving out device 3 to RPX  App 0xfff40000
  Created 1 virtual regions for partiton 4
  mtd: Giving out device 4 to RPX  Diag & Utils

Brett, I have included your changes in rpxlite.c, did not make a difference,
but at lest I
have a better chance to write to the flash once the problem above has been
solved. Thanks a lot!

    Joakim