CFI with 4 x8/x16 devices on a 32-bit bus

Brett Carswell BrettC at nulec.com.au
Thu Apr 5 18:58:21 EDT 2001

> BrettC at nulec.com.au said:
> >  The board has four AMD 29LV160 chips which are in x8 mode. These
> > chips can also be in x16 mode but aren't in this case.
>
> > My first question is am I correct in expecting that I
> should see these
> > chips detected as 4 x8 Devices in 32-bit mode? I can get
> them working
> > in this mode only by shifting all the offset addresses in my mapping
> > functions right by one.
>
> Shouldn't that be 4 x16 devices in 8-bit mode?

I think I wasn't clear enough or my understanding of MTD is totally broken
(which is possible). I'm referring to the output of the line:

	printk(KERN_INFO "%s: Found %d x%d devices at 0x%x in %d-bit
mode\n", map->name,
	       cfi->interleave, cfi->device_type*8, base, map->buswidth*8);

I have four flash chips in parallel on a 32 bit bus so my impression is that
I have an interleave of 4, a device type of 1 (8 bits) and a buswidth of 4
(32bits). However, the CFI probe is detecting the flash chips as device type
2 (16bit). This is fine except when the second address for the write command
is generated as 0x1550  (0x2AA << 8) instead of 0x1554 (0x555 << 4). I'm
trying to work out whether the detection or the program address generation
is wrong or whether by interpretation of buswidth, interleave etc is wrong.

Brett