FTL header not found?

Williams, Kevin M. kevin.m.williams at marconi.com
Thu Apr 5 16:44:07 EDT 2001

Hello,

I am a Linux newbie porting Linux 2.4.3 to a custom embedded PowerPC 860
board.   I have replaced my drivers/mtd and include/linux/mtd directories
with what's in the latest mtd snapshot off the FTP site (20010404).  I am
not trying to do anything real fancy or cutting edge, I just want to be able
to mount my onboard AMD flash chips as an ext2 filesystem.

The cfi_probe code in the latest mtd patch seems to identify the chips and
configuration (coupled pair in 16 bit mode), but scan_header() in ftl.c
seems to read incorrectly when searching for the ftl header (it doesn't find
one...see output below).   The kernel builds and boots, but I get an ftl
error (header not found) during boot up, and I can't mount the flash. I get:

192.168.60.12:/> mount -t ext2 /dev/ftla /flash
bad area!!
bad area!!
mount: /dev/ftla has wrong device number or fs type ext2 not supported

ls -l on the /dev directory shows:
crwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      60,   0 Oct  2  2000 flash0
brwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      44,   0 Oct  2  2000 ftla

This same hardware currently runs a hacked up version of 2.2.13 with some
flash code merged in that has ftl and cfi functionality, but not as mtd,
just as a device.

I'm guessing either the read routine isn't big-endian supported, or I don't
need to find the ftl header and my problem is really elsewhere, or I am just
doing something stupid.

Is there a HOWTO or other documentation on any of this?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Kevin Williams
Marconi Commerce Systems

relevant portion of debug output.............
physmap flash device: 400000 at ffc00000
Physically mapped flash: Found 2 x16 devices at 0x0 in 32-bit mode
 Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table v1.1 at 0x0040
Physically mapped flash: Swapping erase regions for broken CFI table.
number of CFI chips: 1
0: offset=0x0,size=0x20000,blocks=31
1: offset=0x3e0000,size=0x4000,blocks=8
mtd: Giving out device 0 to Physically mapped flash
$Id: ftl.c,v 1.28 2001/03/17 17:10:21 dwmw2 Exp $
ftl_cs: FTL header not found.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0...

.config MTD settings:
#