Proc stuff

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Apr 5 10:50:42 EDT 2001

johan.adolfsson at axis.com said:
>  We (Axis) have an ioctl() to get that info with our own flash driver
> and JFFS available on developer.axis.com (not using mtd). It is
> typically used to verify that a certain type of chip is mounted during
> production test where boot messages are not even enabled and not a
> nice way to get the information for that purpose anyway.

> Since mtd is not flash specific, perhaps a generic info string about
> the device media could be added?

That's what the 'name' field was intended for. The CFI and other probe
functions already return the MTD device to the map driver so that
partitioning and other stuff can be done. Setting an appropriate name which
provides any board-specific information is entirely feasible.

Isn't that enough?

--
dwmw2