[Re: [RPX Classic/Lite and byte ordering]]

Tim Bowman tbowman at emware.com
Wed Apr 4 12:17:11 EDT 2001

Eric wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Have you verified that a kernel compiled with this io.h
> change still works properly on your system?  This sounds
> shakey to me if your kernel was already working as a whole
> without your changes.

It seemed to, but I haven't really tested everything thoroughly.

> I would think that using __raw_writeX and __raw_readX combined
> with the appropriate endian setting in cfi_endian.h would have
> the same effect without such a drastic change.  I am more concerned
> about the statement that other folks with the same boardset do not
> experience this problem-- likely, the correct fix is an endian-map
> (similar in spirit to LART) in cfi_endian.h rather than io.h in such
> a case.  If you can find a mythical RPX system that does not have this
> error, perhaps you can modify the driver to read/write/read/write some
> location to determine if you have an 'affected' board or not.

Sound advice, I think.  It looks like some net and char code uses the
readX stuff, so I'll go ahead and make the changes in rpxlite.c
instead.  I have 4 or 5 other RPX boards I can try, so I'll let you know
if I find one that is different.  Otherwise, we might want to make these
changes to the tree.

-T