Choosing DiskOnChip driver

Ollie Lho ollie at sis.com.tw
Mon Sep 25 00:13:02 EDT 2000

Andreas Micklei wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 12:02:18PM +0200, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> > I develop a small PC board with a DiskOnChip Millenium chip. Because it should be an embedded system I do not want use a standard BIOS like desktop pc (I need a very fast boot). Instead I want load linux direct with a small ROM routine from the DiskOnChip (this small routine do the system initializing, too). So my question:
> >
> > Is this possible with the MTD software? Which parts of grub and mtd I have to use to solve it? Can anybody help me?
>
> I asked a similar question some time ago and was referred to the following
> project:
>
> http://freebios.sourceforge.net/
>
> Seems like a good starting point.

Yes, you are right. We have just successfully boot Linux with LinuxBIOS + Doc
Millennium on SiS 630. The whole system has only DoC Millennium as its sotrage device. No HD nor any other flash device
is required. We can even put a tiny
file system to run Microwindows "mdemo" demo program.

If things go fine, we will demo this in ALS.

Ollie