Flash chip locking

Alice Hennessy ahennessy at mvista.com
Thu Oct 12 20:16:50 EDT 2000

David Woodhouse wrote:

> Unfortunately, we have to consider the fact that this lock will also be
> obtained from a Bottom Half context, when the "has the erase finished yet?"
> timer runs. Therefore, all occurrences of spin_lock in the main code have
> to be spin_lock_bh()¹ instead of the nurmal (and almost free) spin_lock().

Was the  "has the erase finished yet?" timer the only reason for using
spin_lock_bh instead of spin_lock?   Since the timer isn't implemented yet,
spin_lock can be used at the moment, correct?   I'm experimenting with the
driver in an environment that can  only tolerate disabling the bottom half for
very brief periods.

Alice