MTD on intel 28F320B3 flash memory

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at
Fri Nov 17 09:18:02 EST 2000

mhill at said:
>  The 28F320B3 is a BOOT BLOCK flash part.  It contains Eight 8K
> regions and 63 64K regions.  The CFI code assumes that all regions are
> of the same size. I am currently using this part in a design.  To get
> around this problem, I changed the CFI code to treat the 8K regions as
> a single 64K region.

I think that's the correct way do do things. I don't think the MTD layer
needs to handle variable erase sizes within a single MTD partition. Either
your CFI driver registers a single device with 64K erasesize, or it
registers two devices, one with 8K erasesize and the remainder with 64K

I can't think of any situation in which you'd want to _use_ the multiple
erasesize without actually using the boot blocks for a separate purpose to
the remainder of the flash, in which case they should be in different MTD
devices anyway, as far as the MTD layer is concerned.

To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe mtd" to majordomo at