Couple of Doc Questions

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Nov 3 21:20:12 EST 2000

On Sat, 10 Feb 71685, dr john halewood wrote:

>  I've had a couple of issues with DoC's come up in the last few days which more
> knowledgable people might be able to help me with.

>  My development board is a NS Geode box with 2 disk-on-chip sockets. I'm
> developing for both doc2000 & 2001 so I thought I'd put 2 in together (both
> 8MB). This worked okayish with 2.2.16 and one of the tarballs from
> mtd.infradead.org. I then got waylaid by other work for a couple of months.
> Now, running with 2.2.17+cvs I find that only one of the DoCs gets discovered,
> and its always the 2000. I've tried insmodding the drivers in different orders
> etc but it still ends up the same. Any idea why it no longer works?

You should load the doc2000 and doc2001 drivers first, then load the
docprobe module. I don't know why it's broken - except presumably because
the people who have been working on it recently haven't been testing with
multiple devices present. There's no fundamental reason why this shouldn't
work any more.

> (I intend to move to 2.4.0-pre, but I've got to fix up the driver for
> the ethernet chip on the box - a dp83815 - first). Incidentally I seem
> to keep having to hack an increasing number of references to 2.4isms
> out of the drivers as time goes by to get them to compile on 2.2 -
> e.g. references to linux/blkpg.h &c.

Sorry, I don't have many copies of the 2.2 source around any more, so most
of my testing is done against 2.4. I should be more careful.

>   The other problem has turned up very recently. I finally got hold of a 24MB
> DOC2k (took nearly 3 months to arrive for some reason). As soon as I put it
> into my development board (by itself) and boot, the machine hangs after the
> BIOS check. It won't even go into dos. I suspect I've either been bitten by the
> old lilo incompatibility problem (dunno why seeing as it works with smaller
> chips) or I need a BIOS upgrade.

The built-in firmware in the DiskOnChip is crap. It's taking up far too
much memory when you have a large device. I think newer versions of LILO
and the kernel can work around this, or you could just replace their
firmware with Grub.

--
dwmw2