Write support

Patrick Higgins phiggins at transzap.com
Tue May 23 13:43:44 EDT 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Dvir Oren wrote:

> > Unfortunately, no.  I suppose I need to order a few more.  We ordered the
> > one I have from Flytech, and it took _forever_ to get here.  Do you know
> > of any good suppliers?  Can you buy directly from M-Systems?
>
> I found that when this happens, I could use docpmap /e, which would erase
> the flsh _entirely_(***), and then I could use dformat, which will restore
> the flash to a usable state.
>
> ***
> Using docpmap /e is 'prohibited' by M-Systems', and it will not be
> available in the next version.  The problem with this is that it
> erases the bad block table, which will never be restored again.
>
> What can be done to avoid this is to do dformat /log:<filename>,
> which should save the bad block table to filename, and you can then
> restore it.
>
> However, from my experience, and as it so happens to be, most flashes
> have 0 bad blocks.
>
> You can take your chances if you want.

I wish I could still do this...unfortunately, I took my chances already
and used doc_loadbios to write the grub firmware onto the DoC, and now it
won't boot on my system which has a floppy (the only way I've able to get
DOS to boot), but I can still get it to boot Linux with PXE
(netboot).  Would something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtd0

accomplish the same thing?

Has anyone gotten DOS to work with PXE?  If so, could you please describe
your setup?

Patrick