Bad Block Table

Dvir Oren dviro at lucidvon.com
Tue Mar 28 04:09:22 EST 2000

I have several questions about the bad block table:

1.  Where is it located?  Oron from M-Systems said that before erase the
flash it is important to save it.  So where is it located, and how can I
save it? (Will dd work?)

2.  Also mentioned was that during the lifetime of the flash, if a new
bad block is found, it is marked as a bad block.  This will be effective
only before doing a boot.  Question is, who is responsible for finding
those bad blocks - the M-Systems kernel driver?

3.  And if the driver is responsible for this, does the MTD driver do
the same?

Also, on a related issue, I found that after using nftl_format,
M-Systems' dfromat does not recognize the flash correctly, and errors
something about "out of spare units".  I usually fixed this by erasing
the flash (docpmap /e).  Any other way to do it?  dformat /unformat
doesn't seem to do it.

--
Dvir Oren               <dviro at lucidvon.com>
Lucid VON Ltd.     <http://www.lucidvon.com>