Status of MTD for CFI

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jun 30 09:25:50 EDT 2000

scote1 at Matrox.COM said:
> : what is nora.c for (from the name, I guess it's a NOR flash and from
> the code I guess it's CFI but that's all I know)?

nora.c is misnamed. It's just a 'map' driver for memory chips which are
mapped directly into the CPU's VM, which is what happens on a lot of ARM
boards. It's not really CFI-specific at all, except that it happens to call
the cfi_probe function and none other at the moment.

By changing a couple of defines for the address and size, you can make it
handle memory chips mapped anywhere in VM rather than just where my
particular board happens to have them.

> and what does SBC stand for ?

Single Board Computer.

scote1 at Matrox.COM said:
> I've got an Intel StrataFlash so it's both 16 bits and CFI compliant.
> I quickly checked the files you mentioned and this all seems very
> simple.

It just got less simple. We now make an attempt to do proper async handling
of flash chips, and I'm just about to test it. If it works, I'll try to
build up the courage to shift the erase stuff into a timer, and enable
suspension of in-progress erases.

--
dwmw2