garbage collect

Nick Ivanter nick at auriga.ru
Wed Jun 21 04:37:42 EDT 2000

SИbastien CТtИ wrote:

> Nick Ivanter wrote:
>
> > I've compiled JFFS and MTD into the kernel and tried to play with it on
> > the mtdram device. It seems to work, but when I tried to mount device
> > without manually specifying a filesystem type, I got error: "Unable to
> > handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address ...........
> > Process mount........... Segmentation fault". When specifying -t jffs,
> > everything seems to be ok.
> > Does anyone have ideas about what may cause that?
>
> hmm.... when I try the same thing I get :
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> I get the same output with -t auto.....  try using -t auto and see if it
> segfaults.
>
> --
> SИbastien CТtИ

I've tried it. mount with -t auto segfaults in the same way.

But I noticed interesting thing: when I then try to mount it for the first
time either with -t auto or not, I get the error immediately after entering
the command. But when I try it for the second time (again doesn't matter
specifying -t auto or not), I get debugging output from the mtdblock before
the error message:

bash# mount /dev/mtd0 /mnt -t auto
mtdblock_open
ok
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000c

current->tss.cr3 = 01676000, %cr3 = 01676000
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0002
CPU:    0
EIP:    0010:[<c014cd43>]
EFLAGS: 00010092

Starting the third time and till reset, mounting /dev/mtd0 without
specifying filesystem type or with -t auto doesn't cause segfault:

bash# mount /dev/mtd0 /mnt
mtdblock_open
ok
mtdblock_release
ok
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Nick.