M-Sys Reed Solomon

Miguel Freitas miguel at cetuc.puc-rio.br
Mon Jul 17 20:26:30 EDT 2000

    Hi Patrick,

    I'm trying to understand the M-Systems Reed Solomon
implementation used in DiskOnChip, maybe we could exchange
some ideas... how is it going the code?

    I read your email when you went for vacation, more than a month
ago. I have some comments on it, probably old ones for you, but
let's try...
    1) How do you know that these 4 x ten bit word encoded in that 6
interleaved bytes are actually the syndrom? It doesn't make sense
for me... First, a syndrom should be zero for a correct block and
second, they always transmit the ECC "parity" and never the
syndrom itself. The syndrom is computed from the whole codeword
(data+parity)...(apologize me if I'm stating the obvious).
    2) Where did you get the information to convert the 6 interleaved
bytes into 4 x ten bit word? The parallel 8 bit parity at the second
byte is easy to see, but the 40 bits could be arranged in a different
manner under 5 bytes. The M-Sys driver has a routine to do that
conversion, but in another sequence (and without the parallel parity).
    3) I guess you should have already figured out what is the
primitive polynomial they use. Just in case, it's the classical
x^10+x^3+1. This became clear with a little reverse engineering...

    I also tryed to match the hardware ECC data initializing the shift
register encoder with symbols different than zero without success.
Have you had more lucky in the last month?

Regards,

Miguel Freitas