NS Geode (was: doc2000 geometry problem?)

Patrick Higgins phiggins at transzap.com
Wed Jul 5 17:18:04 EDT 2000

John Halewood wrote:

> I'm yet another person trying to embed linux using the doc2000 on a
> NatSemi-based platform (Geode aka MediaGX - uck).

I've also been using a Geode and found it to have *horrible* performance
(~3-7 times slower than equivalent clock PIII).  Has this been your
experience as well?  My company is currently considering asking our
hardware supplier to use another CPU in their boxes, but we don't really
know what the good options are for systems which need to run without a
fan.  We have some AMD K6-2's 450s that perform quite well, but require a
fan, though I've heard that the 250s can be used fanless.  Has anyone had
some good (or bad, so we know what to avoid) experiences they could share?

-Patrick