MTD, generic physmap memory, MTD_BLOCK

Michael Stumpf michaelstumpf at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 11:48:07 EST 2000

I'm working in embedded LinuxPPC on a system with low RAM and ROM -- 6 meg RAM,
8 meg flash ROM.  It seems like that MTD may provide (or almost so) a method
for mapping memory space in as a block device.  It already appears to sort-of
do that, but I was wondering if full support for booting off of non-CFI
compliant, but transparently mapped in, memories is either in place now
(doesn't seem to be there) or is planned for the future.

It's a trivial driver, and I'll write it / modify existing MTD code if
desired/needed, but it really seems important to have so that I can
execute-in-place from a cramfs partition in ROM (and also have this as my root
partition).

Thoughts?  Am I way off the mark here?

Regards-
Michael Stumpf