Problems with r/w on mtdblock0

Ian Relativity at HumanHeuristic.com
Tue Dec 5 21:28:19 EST 2000

Well, that's how this started;

 >    bash# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock0 bs=512 count=1
 >    end_request: I/O error, dev 1f:00 (mtdblock), sector 0
 >    dd: /dev/mtdblock0: Input/output error
 >    1+0 records in
 >    0+0 records out
 >
 >    bash# /bin/dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1
 >    end_request: I/O error, dev 1f:00 (mtdblock), sector 0
 >    /bin/dd: /dev/mtdblock0: Input/output error
 >    0+0 records in
 >    0+0 records out

.. and Ollie said ...

 >        The /dev/mtdblockN device the the "block device" node for MTD devices.
 >  In the DoC case, it can only read/write data in 8KB block (the erase size).
 >  You can not read/write 512B on itm it will get "cached" by the driver. If
 >  you are playing with the IPL stuff, WRITE TO /dev/mtd0.

... which then started a series of questions about whether or not its being cached
and I'm just rebooting too soon, if that's possible.  *BUT* .. as above .. I'm getting
errors to that device (that I didn't used to).

See my next message (I'm currently writing) re access level via /dev/mtd0 ...

.. but then all of this thread is irrelevant (to me) if I can get my BIOS warez onto
the chip at the right location (which it appears the doc_loadbios has done), but
I still don't get my BIOS app touched  ... so something still isn't sitting right ...
I'm doing testing at the moment ... there *shouldn't* be a driver error ... I'm
stickin' with the Wookie defence ... ;)

--
http://HumanHeuristic.com/
"Bringing people together in a world full of computers"