New DiskOnChip driver

Miguel Freitas miguel at cetuc.puc-rio.br
Thu Aug 17 15:53:05 EDT 2000

   Hi,

   I've just uploaded the new DiskOnChip driver to CVS repository. The
bad news is that this driver _may_ break all I/O to the DoC, so please
send me any e-mails with reports of success and failures.

   The changes from previous driver are:

   - Millennium driver merged (UNTESTED!!)
   - Support to 2Mb and 64Mb (and more) nand chip addressing modes.
   - 4Kb and 16Kb erase blocks devices (we have to check if nftl is aware
of this).
   - Subsector writing.

   There is also a new utility called nandtest.c. This is provided for testing
the DiskOnChip driver without nftl. Please report any problems together
with nandtest output.

   The only know bug seems to have something to do with my testing
hardward, I hope that it's not a bug in software at all: sometimes I get
corrupted data if an interrupt from network card happens inside
DoC_ReadBuf. Let me know if you have similar problems, and
preferably, give me a solution! :) Try it doing the following: 1) erase the
/dev/mtd0; 2) dd if=sometextfile of=/dev/mtd0; 3) less -f /dev/mtd0 ->
checking for strange charaters on the text. Running less from the console
do not generate errors, while running it from a telnet session causes the
appearance of "ÿÿÿÿ" (0xff) in the middle of the text.

Regards,

Miguel Freitas
Center for Telecommunications Studies
CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY - BRASIL