get_module_symbol / put_module_symbol

Sébastien Côté scote1 at Matrox.COM
Tue Aug 8 08:50:51 EDT 2000

David Woodhouse wrote:

> scote1 at Matrox.COM said:
> >  I want to compile MTD builtin in the kernel but the usage of
> > get_module_symbol and put_module_symbol makes it impossible at the
> > moment.  I grepped -r 'put_module_symbol' in linux/drivers/* for linux
> > 2.2.16 and MTD was the only driver using it.  I'm not sure how this
> > should be replaced but I'd really like to get rid of it.
>
> There's a fairly small patch to add put_module_symbol() to the 2.2 kernel,
> and to change the behaviour of get_module_symbol() accordingly - to make it
> match the 2.4 versions.
>
> If you can come up with a better way to handle use counts, feel free.

The problem is I want to compile a kernel with modules completly
disabled and right now it's not possible.
I COULD enable modules but since I want JFFS on my root partition, MTD
must be built in and I don't have any use for any other module.

But as I see it, the only problem is that get_module_sumbol() and
put_...() are called even if MTD isn't a module.  There's no need to
track use counts when you're not a module, right ?

--
Sébastien Côté