get_mtd_device()

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Apr 7 11:11:58 EDT 2000

alex at cendio.se said:
> Why was get_mtd_device() removed?

Locking issues.

I need to change the __MOD_INC_USE_COUNT(mtd->module) calls in the user
modules to use try_inc_mod_count() on 2.3, and to deal appropriately with
failure. This will make me mostly happy about the race conditions which
currently exist with drivers being unloaded at the same time as a user
module's open() function is being called on a different CPU.

This means that the driver module unload path goes...

  Acquire unload_lock in kernel/module.c
  call cleanup_module()
  ->	Acquire mtd_table_mutex
	Remove the mtd_info from the list
	Drop mtd_table_mutex
  Drop unload_lock

Now, I'm unhappy that I've just noticed that the unload_lock is a spinlock and
hence perhaps cleanup_module() shouldn't be allowed to sleep, and hence can't
try to acquire the mtd_table_mutex semaphore.

But besides this problem, which is going to bite a _lot_ of things, the
behaviour of get_mtd_device would have to be something like...

  Acquire mtd_table_mutex
  go through the mtd_table to get the one we want
  call try_inc_mod_count()
  -->	Acquire unload_lock
	increase the use count
	Drop unload_lock
  Drop mtd_table_mutex

Spot the deadlock. If you can tell me how to fix it, you can have
get_mtd_device() back :)

>  I need it or something like it in jffs to get the mtd device from the
> minor device of the mtdblock device i shall mount.

Could we add an ioctl() to mtdblock instead, to allow jffs to get direct
access to the mtd_info struct that way?

Actually, I'd prefer in the end that mtdblock not be required for jffs to work
- after all, it's not really necessary except to keep mount(8) happy.
We ought to be able to use 'mount /dev/mtd0 -tjffs /mnt/wherever'

--
dwmw2