Response from M-Systems

David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse at mvhi.com
Fri Jul 9 16:21:25 EDT 1999

jgg at deltatee.com said:
>  Yeah, he wouldn't. The GPL is reasonably clear that you have to give
> up patent rights. IBM's laywers and Apple's laywers both concure on
> this. If you as a compay GPL an implementation for an algorithm then
> that company must give free use patent rights to everyone who recieves
> a copy of the code, which is effectively everyone.

And if I personally release some code under GPL, what then? Have I
singlehandedly voided their patents, to which I didn't have any right in the
first place?

I'd like to know precisely why IBM and Apple lawyers think that. I can't see
it myself. Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but I'd expect to understand if I saw
the explanation. Can you see an actual flaw in my logic?

David Woodhouse        David.Woodhouse at mvhi.com       Office: (+44) 1223 810302
 Project Leader,     Process Information Systems      Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
    Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
             finger dwmw2 at ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.