wifi: mt7921e cannot be connected from outside

Shunran Zhang svz5160 at alumni.psu.edu
Thu Jun 15 07:05:11 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I am using MediaTek MT7922A22M PCIe WiFi + Bluetooth card, with Linux
6.2.1 as well as 6.3.0, on AOSC Linux.

When I am connecting to my home WiFi, I am having some issues with its
connectivity that feels like the machine is behind a firewall. I can ssh
to other machines on the same L2 network, but not being sshed from
others. I can send out multicast packages and they could be received by
others in the same network, but their multicast packages never reach my
kernel - no mDNS packages received by wireshark or any other package
capture software, and setting iptables to log INPUT also do not show
anything other than connections initiated by this Linux laptop. The
output of avahi-browse -art is empty, even though there are a lot of
mDNS traffic in my L2 network, including a printer, and a daap server,
and other devices connected to the same WiFi works with them without issue.

I have checked my firewall settings, in which the firewalld was disabled
and iptables only contains default ACCEPT. The same issue also
disappears if I plug my laptop into the wireless AP using an Ethernet
cable, or if I replace the MT7922 with an Intel WiFi card (currently
using 7260).

While I do have some knowledge on the network and routing kind of stuff,
I am not quite familiar with the kernel driver. Please advise on how I
should debug that.

Sincerely,

Shunran Zhang