[RFC,v4,2/5] mtd: nand: ecc: mtk: Convert to the ECC infrastructure

xiangsheng.hou xiangsheng.hou at mediatek.com
Fri Dec 10 19:25:46 PST 2021

Hi Miquel,

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mtd/20211209174046.535229-1-miquel.raynal@bootlin.com/T/
> And here is a Github branch as well:
> https://github.com/miquelraynal/linux/tree/ecc-engine

Got it, Thanks.

> > > Do you really need this swap? Isn't the overall move enough to
> > > put
> > > the
> > > BBM at the right place?
> > >

> > For OPS_RAW mode, need organize flash data in the MTK ECC engine
> > data
> > format. Other operation in this function only organize data by
> > section
> > and not include BBM swap.
> >
> > For other mode, this function will not be called.
>
> Can you try to explain this with an ascii schema again? I'm sorry but
> don't follow it. Is the BBM placed in the first bytes of the first
> oob
> area by the engine? Or is it place somewhere else?

Yes, the BBM will at the first OOB area in NAND standard layout after
BBM swap.

0. Differential on-flash data layout

NAND standard page layout
+------------------------------+------------+
|                              |            |
|            main area         |   OOB area |
|                              |            |
+------------------------------+------------+

MTK ECC on-flash page layout (2 section for example)
+------------+--------+------------+--------+
|            |        |            |        |
| section(0) | OOB(0) | section(1) | OOB(1) |
|            |        |            |        |
+------------+--------+------------+--------+

The standard BBM position will be section(1) main data,
need do the BBM swap operation.

request buffer include req->databuf and req->oobbuf.
+----------------------------+
|                            |
|     req->databuf           |
|                            |
+----------------------------+

+-------------+
|             |
| req->oobbuf |
|             |
+-------------+

1. For the OPS_RAW mode

Expect the on-flash data format is like MTK ECC layout.
The snfi controller will put the on-flash data as is
spi_mem_op->data.buf.out.

Therefore, the ECC engine have to reorganize the request
data and OOB buffer in 4 part for each section in
OPS_RAW mode.

1) BBM swap, only for the section need do the swap
2) section main data
3) OOB free data
4) OOB ECC data

The BBM swap will ensure the BBM position in MTK ECC
on-flash layout is same as NAND standard layout in
OPS_RAW mode.

for (i = 0; i < eng->nsteps; i++) {

        /* part 1: BBM swap */
        if (i == eng->bbm_ctl.section)
                eng->bbm_ctl.bbm_swap(nand,
                                      databuf, oobbuf);

	/* part 2: main data in this section */
        memcpy(mtk_ecc_section_ptr(nand, i),
               databuf + mtk_ecc_data_off(nand, i),
               step_size);

        /* part 3: OOB free data */
        memcpy(mtk_ecc_oob_free_ptr(nand, i),
               oobbuf + mtk_ecc_oob_free_position(nand, i),
               eng->oob_free);

        /* part 4: OOB ECC data */
        memcpy(mtk_ecc_oob_free_ptr(nand, i) + eng->oob_free,
               oobbuf + eng->oob_free * eng->nsteps +
               i * eng->oob_ecc,
               eng->oob_ecc);
}

2. For non OPS_RAW mode

The snfi have a function called auto format with ECC enable.
This will auto reorganize the request data and oob data in
MTK ECC page layout by the snfi controller except the BBM position.

Therefore, the ECC engine only need do the BBM swap after set OOB data
bytes in OPS_AUTO or after memcpy oob data in OPS_PLACE_OOB for write
operation.

The BBM swap also ensure the BBM position in MTK ECC on-flash
layout is
same as NAND standard layout in non OPS_RAW mode.

if (req->ooblen) {
        if (req->mode == MTD_OPS_AUTO_OOB) {
                ret = mtd_ooblayout_set_databytes(mtd,
                                                  req->oobbuf.out,
                                                  eng->bounce_oob_buf,
                                                  req->ooboffs,
                                                  mtd->oobavail);
                if (ret)
                        return ret;
        } else {
                memcpy(eng->bounce_oob_buf + req->ooboffs,
                       req->oobbuf.out,
                       req->ooblen);
        }
}

eng->bbm_ctl.bbm_swap(nand, (void *)req->databuf.out,
                      eng->bounce_oob_buf);

Thanks
Xiangsheng Hou