mt8173-evb: failing to boot in linux-next and mainline

James Liao jamesjj.liao at mediatek.com
Mon Mar 28 22:40:15 PDT 2016

Hi Sascha,

On Mon, 2016-03-28 at 08:15 -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Hi Eddie,
>
> Eddie Huang <eddie.huang at mediatek.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > Thanks your testing again. I can reproduce your case in my local
> > environment using 4.6-rc1. After checking, there are two ways to avoid
> > the hang:
> > 1. set clk_ignore_unused to kernel command line
> > 2. Revert patch "cc8ed76 soc: mediatek: SCPSYS: Fix double enabling of
> > regulators"
> >
> > It seems there is a problem between turn on/off clock and power domain.
> > We will try to fix this and send patch to public once have a solution.
>
> Thanks for verifying.
>
> I've confirmed that reverting the patch suggested above fixes the
> problem.
>
> Since -rc1 is out, and this problem still exists in mainline, if a
> proper fix is not found very soon, I suggest reverting that patch in mainline.
>
> Kevin

According to Eddie and Kevin's test, I think some clocks
(mm/mfg/venc/venclt) may be turned off and there are drivers need these
clocks without clk_prepare_enable(). But I have no idea to find out what
driver causes this issue. So I prefer to revert it on v4.6-rc1. Do you
have comments about this issue?

Best regards,

James