[RFC v2 6/6] ASoC: hdmi-codec: Use HDMI notifications to add jack support

Jyri Sarha jsarha at ti.com
Fri Jan 8 01:57:11 PST 2016

On 01/08/16 10:43, Philipp Zabel wrote:
> Hi Jyri,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 07.01.2016, 19:09 +0200 schrieb Jyri Sarha:
>> On 01/04/16 21:19, Philipp Zabel wrote:
>>> Use HDMI connection / disconnection notifications to update an ALSA
>>> jack object. Also make a copy of the ELD block after every change.
>>>

>> The jack part looks good to me AFAIU,
>
> If this is in principle an acceptable idea, this leaves the issue that
> the jack has an initial state and right now we can't query it but
> instead would have to wait for the first HDMI_(DIS)CONNECTED
> notification before it can be set. Would it make sense to add an
> is_connected callback to the hdmi_codec_ops or does this rather belong
> somewhere else?

To me it would feel best if the hdmi notification would send the current
edid, eld, and connection state when the hdmi notification is
registered. But then again, I may not see the full picture.

BTW, if we are going this way, the hdmi notification should be
registered always in probe phase. I don't think the
hdmi_codec_set_jack_detect() should be needed at all. Simple simple
flags in struct hdmi_codec_pdata that tells if the jack detection is
supported should do. Hmm, I am not sure if we need even that.

>> but I think we should just update
>> the local ELD copy with data given in the ELD notification. It then
>> depends on the implementation details whether the get_eld() callback is
>> needed at all or if it should be called once at the probe time.
>
> Thanks, that sounds reasonable.
>
>> Then it is a separate issue to check if the currently played stream is
>> still supported after an ELD update, and to decide what to do about it
>> if it is not.
> [...]
>
> Possibly the HDMI driver itself should just mute if the format is not
> supported, and userspace should be notified?

Another option would be simply aborting the playback. However having a
mute control, that is forced to mute if the current stream is not
supported, is an interesting idea. That would provide a way to notify
the userspace without intrusively killing the stream.

Cheers,
Jyri