Question about checking rate_spi in pwrap_init_reg_clock

Eddie Huang eddie.huang at mediatek.com
Fri May 8 02:51:56 PDT 2015

Hi Axel,

On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 17:33 +0800, Axel Lin wrote:
> CC Leilk Liu

> >> The CSHEXT and CSLEXT registers extend the time the chipselect stays
> >> high after a SPI transfer or low before a new transfer by the given
> >> number of spi clk cycles.
> >> Looking at the code maybe the real question is not whether the border is
> >> at 25999999Hz or at 26000000Hz, but why the transfers are throttled with
> >> slower clock frequencies. I would assume the other way round makes
> >> sense.
> >
> > After re-reading the data sheet and the reference kernel
> > implementation, it seems as if three clocks exist. clk_wrap and
> > clk_spi and "pmic reg_clk". And some how depending on the three clocks
> > you have to calculate the values for CSHEXT, CSLEXT etc.
> >
> > I think we need some clarification here from Mediatek to really
> > understand what is going on.
>
> Hi Leilk,
> I found you are working on mtk's spi driver.
> Any comment about this discussion?
>
> Regards,
> Axel

Leilk's SPI driver is general SPI bus driver, different than pwrapper
SPI, which is a specific bus only used by pwrapper. For pwrapper SPI,
"clk_wrap" is clock used in 8173 pwrapper side, "clk_spi" is SPI bus
clock. "pmic reg_clk" is clock in PMIC side. We already discuss this
issue with Sascha, and I believe he will send new patch to solve this
problem.

Eddie