Question about checking rate_spi in pwrap_init_reg_clock

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Tue Apr 21 05:52:23 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 01:43:19PM +0200, Matthias Brugger wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 09:58:07AM +0800, Axel Lin wrote:
> >> hi,
> >> The implementation in pwrap_init_reg_clock seems has off-by-one bug.
> >> If rate_spi is 26000000, current code set ck_mhz to 18 rather than 26.
> >>
> >> I guess it needs below fix, but I'm not 100% sure as I don't have the datasheet.
> >> Can someone confirm if this is a bug or not?
> >
> > Yes, seems to be a bug. Thanks for noting. Will you send a formal patch
> > or should I do it?
>
> Did you have a look on both datasheets/reference kernels, mt8135 and mt8173?
> Reading the datasheet and reference kernel code for mt6589 this SPI
> waveform configuration looks like magic.
>
> But reading the clock frequency which can have clk_spi in mt8135, they
> are 0 MHz, 26 MHz and bigger then 26 MHz, which leads me to the
> conclusion that the code is correct. Otherwise the check for bigger
> then 18 MHz is useless and should be deleted, if we have a similar
> clock distribution in mt8173.

The CSHEXT and CSLEXT registers extend the time the chipselect stays
high after a SPI transfer or low before a new transfer by the given
number of spi clk cycles.
Looking at the code maybe the real question is not whether the border is
at 25999999Hz or at 26000000Hz, but why the transfers are throttled with
slower clock frequencies. I would assume the other way round makes
sense.

Sascha