Geode lxfb framebuffer not working

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Jun 12 19:34:52 EDT 2008

On 12/06/08 15:28 -0700, Kushal Koolwal wrote:
> >It sounds like your BIOS is horribly misconfigured.
> That might be true however the same configuration (BIOS and Hardware) works fine on a 2.6.22 kernel.
> Also the problem of "/dev/fb0 not present" kicked in when I used the GIT kernel (2.6.26-rc5 release).
> If I use the stable 2.6.25 from kernel.org, I do get those green lines (during boot) and the device /dev/fb0 is present.

Its all the same problem.

So at this point, you are going to have to start instrumenting code.
We are interested in figuring out which path the code goes down in
lx_framebuffer_size() in drivers/video/geode/lxfb_ops.c.

We are further interested in what happens in geode_has_vsa2() in
arch/x86/kernel/geode_32.c.  In particular, the value that is returned
by the inw(VSA_VRC_DATA).

If we know these two things ,then I can formulate an opinion, but I don't
have a GSW system nearby to test.

Jordan