[OE-core] SFO17 Cross-Distro meeting notes

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Sep 29 11:26:25 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 02:06:21AM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:

[snip]
> On arm64, Kernel doesn't self-decompress. The bootloaders are stringly
> recommended to support decompressing kernel images. It's optional in
> grub, make sure your grub does. At least iPXE and u-boot don't support
> booting Image.gz on arm64, and should be fixed.

Not strictly true.  We do expect that if you're loading in a
compressed something that you uncompress it then boot it.  I assume part
of the reason that Linux didn't go for self-decompression this time is
the "my goodness, it's tricky to get here's where we are, here's what
else is in the system, lets not stomp anything and get ourself to where
we need to be" is in fact tricky.

That said, patches to check for ${VALID_COMPRESSION_HEADER}, uncompress
a chunk, confirm valid Image header, and uncompress to where it needs to
reside would be welcome.

Thanks!

--
Tom